SRH 1840 Headphones
The SRH1840 Professional Open Back Headphones feature individually matched drivers for unparalleled acoustic performance, including smooth, extended highs and accurate bass. Developed with premium materials and precision engineering, the custom-crafted design is extremely lightweight and durable. Ideal for mastering or critical listening applications. The included storage case, replacement set of velour ear pads, replacement cable, and threaded adapter ensure years of uninterrupted listening enjoyment.
- Individually matched 40 mm neodymium drivers for unparalleled acoustic performance with smooth, extended highs and accurate bass
- Open-back, circumaural design for exceptionally natural sound, wide stereo image, and increased depth of field
- Lightweight construction featuring aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and stainless steel grilles for enhanced durability
- Steel driver frame with vented center pole piece improves linearity and eliminates internal resonance for consistent performance at all listening levels
- Ergonomic dual-frame, padded headband is lightweight and fully adjustable for hours of listening comfort
- Optimized for connection to external headphone amplification systems
- Oxygen-free copper cable with Kevlar® reinforced jacket for superior performance and durability
- Dual-exit cables with gold-plated MMCX connectors provide secure connection and detachability for easy storage or replacement
- Replaceable velour ear pads with high-density, slow-recovery foam for exceptional comfort
- Individually tested and serialized
- Matched 40mm Neodymium Drivers
- Steel Driver Frames
- Open-Back Earcups
- Aluminum and Steel Construction
- Dual-Frame Padded Headband
- Around-Ear Velour Cushions
- Detachable OFC Cable with Kevlar Jacket
- 3.5mm Plug with Threaded 1/4" Adapter
- Accessories Included
- Type: Open back, circumaural
- Driver: 40 mm Dynamic, neodymium magnet
- Sensitivity (1 kHz): 96 dB SPL/mW
- Impedance (Nominal, 1 kHz): 65 Ohms
- Max Input Power (1 kHz): 1000 mW
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz 30 kHz
- Cable Type: Dual-exit, detachable oxygen-free copper
- Cable Length: 6.9 ft (2.1 m)
- Plug: Gold-plated 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo mini-jack
Summary of Customer Ratings & Reviews
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet! I have to say that I LOVE Shure headphones! Had the 440s, the 940s and I needed to try the new flagship headphone from this great company. The most important (and different) thing is that, THESE ARE NOW OPEN (so it comes with their own pros and cons!) The SRH1840s come in the biggest package for a Shure headphone that I have seen! But as always, everything comes neatly packaged and completely secured. Better yet, great accessories as always! Box comes with: * Carrying Case * Extra Velour earpads * Detachable Cable (2x) * Threaded 1/4" adapter * Manual Every other company should take note! (I still can't believe some flagship don't come with as full a package as these!) Regarding sound though, This is something that definitely needs to be discussed a bit. You see, I (and I believe that a LOT of Shure past owners) was looking for something game-changing. I basically THOUGHT that this new flagship headphone was going to be similar to the SRH940s but "open-sounding" and with more bass presence... and I think we got something a bit... different. Don't misinterpret though, I'm not saying that that is bad!! I actually liked the sound of the SRH1840s. Highs were not as pronounced like on the SRH940s (which is good especially for "faster" genres like Punk and Metal) but they still extended quite well. Mids were not as pronounced/FORWARD either but still you got great reproduction of guitars and vocals (love female vocals on these as well as with the 940s!). Bass, which was quite anemic on the 940s, is definitely present here so these actually sound... "full"... but still... they just sounded too similar to my Sennheiser HD600s!!!! Doing A/B comparisons they were just so similar sounding! Now, where the Shure really took the cake was: sound stage and instrument separation! Good God! Some tracks just shined on the SRH1840s leaving the Sennheisers crying in a corner! But other than that, I kept using the Senns more and more... What else can I say... The Shure SRH1840s definitely comes with extremely comfortable earpads!! The pressure on top (headband) is similar as the SRH940 and it feels better since it's actually a lighter headphone. For a whole month I kept comparing and testing this new offering against the 940s and HD600s and I definitely came away impressed but only with the "right" tracks. Other than that I was left asking myself: Why would I choose these over my Sennheiser HD600s as my open-back headphones of preference... and I didn't. Conclusion: So... Shure has definitely come to the "open-back" headphone market with a Great offering. The headphones feel great, are good-looking, come with a great deal of accessories (every other Headphone maker should take note!!!!) and the sound is very balanced throughout the whole spectrum. Again, highs are present but not ear-piercing, mids are not recessed but don't JUMP out on you either, and bass is ... 'there'... (just not enough sub-bass, but still make the headphones sound 'full') But still, if you are in the market for this type of sound, you can do a similar buy and spend $300 less... All in all, Like them NOT Love them. I'd still recommend them though. I'd rate them a 3.5 out of 5! Hope you enjoyed the review. P.S. For sources I used my PC --> MP3s/FLACs --> Nuforce Icon HDP. Also tested on portable amp by JDSLabs, c421. Pros: Great instrument separation good clarity Just 'enough' bass presence Great build quality Cons: Too similar sounding to a cheaper headphone (see notes...) Still missing some bass slam.
Question & Answers
Questions on SRH 1840 Headphones
When is the date manufactured of headphone?
I want the newest headphone.
- Tech Support answered:
- Every item we carry is the latest available - our inventory is renewed every 2 weeks. Unfortunately we cannot ship Shure products outside the US/North America. You can have the unit shipped to a friend or family member in the USA.